Invisalign for Adults
Eating and Drinking When You Have Invisalign Aligners
Prior to eating and drinking, you must remove your aligners. After you remove them, rinse them and place them in their case. If you do not have your case with you, then submerge them in a cup of cool water.
After you are done eating, and before you place the aligners back in your mouth, be sure to brush, floss and then rinse your mouth. If you drink a beverage but do not eat any food, you still need to rinse your mouth thoroughly before replacing your Invisalign aligners. The only beverage you can drink while still wearing your Invisalign aligners is plain water.
In addition, you should always rinse your aligners thoroughly before placing them back in your mouth because the dry saliva and plaque that remains on your aligners after removing them create the perfect environment for bacterial growth. Cleaning and sanitizing your Invisalign aligners regularly is essential because if these bacteria are allowed to multiply, your aligners will begin to smell.
Cleaning Your Invisalign Aligners
Although the clear aligners that are used throughout the Invisalign treatment process are removed prior to eating, drinking, brushing and flossing, they still need to be cleaned. You should clean your aligners every morning and every night.
Using the Invisalign Cleaning System makes cleaning and sanitizing your aligners quick and easy. This cleaning system has packets of cleaning crystals that are specially designed for cleaning Invisalign aligners.
To remove any food particles, before starting the actual cleaning process, gently rinse your aligners under lukewarm water.
How to Clean Your Aligners Using Invisalign Crystals
- Fill a small cup with enough lukewarm water to cover your aligners.
- Empty a packet of the cleaning crystals into the water.
- Once the crystals dissolve, place your aligners into the cup.
- Leave your aligners soaking in the cup for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have passed, take them out of the cup and rinse them with lukewarm water.
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush that is soaked in tap water, gently brush your aligners on both sides. The toothbrush that you use on your aligners must not be used to clean anything else (including your teeth).
- Thoroughly rinse your aligners under lukewarm water.
- Now, your aligners are fresh, clean and ready to wear.
Storing Your Invisalign Aligners
When you are not wearing your aligners because you are eating, drinking, brushing or flossing, you need to store them completely submerged in a cup of cool water. If you are not wearing them while at home, you can place them in a closed container filled with cool water. If you neglect to put your aligners in water, they may become dry and begin to crack.
If I Choose to Straighten My Teeth with Invisalign, Can I Continue Playing Sports?
Yes, you can continue enjoying a fit and active lifestyle as you straighten your teeth with the Invisalign system. You will just remove your aligners while you are participating in sporting activities. In order to protect your teeth, you will need to wear a mouthguard. If you do not have a protective mouthguard, we can make one for you, just let us know.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that sports mouthguards be worn while individuals participate in a variety of activities, including:
- Martial Arts.
- In-Line Skating.
- Equestrian Events.
- Any Other Type of Extreme Sport.
The only risk associated with living an active lifestyle while straightening your teeth with Invisalign is misplacing the aligners or forgetting to place them in water.
Advantages of Invisalign for Adults
Besides being practically invisible, Invisalign offers adults a variety of other benefits. These additional benefits make this teeth-straightening system superior to its traditional counterpart.
Advantages of Invisalign over traditional braces:
- With traditional metal braces, patients visit their orthodontist every 4 weeks for adjustments. Patients who opt for Invisalign will still need to visit their orthodontist periodically so their progress can be monitored; however, patients who choose Invisalign usually spend less time at the orthodontist than those with traditional braces do.
- Treatment with Invisalign is usually completed much quicker than treatment with traditional braces. Most Invisalign treatments are complete within 12 to 18 months.
- Unlike braces, Invisalign aligners are comfortable, sleek and discreet.
- With Invisalign, there are no concerns related to food getting stuck in between brackets and wires. Furthermore, there are no elastics to contend with.
If you would like your teeth to be straighter, but you are not interested in traditional braces, Invisalign may be right for you. To learn more about this revolutionary treatment, contact DiCiccio Freeman Orthodontics today to schedule your complimentary consultation. Invisalign has made it possible for adults to discreetly straighten their teeth and create the gleaming smile they have always wanted.