What Is Invisalign or Clear Aligners for Kids?
Clear Aligners or Invisalign for Kids is a teeth-straightening system that uses a set of see-through, removable aligners to gradually move a child’s teeth into their proper positions. Clear Aligners for Kids can be used to treat overcrowding, a crossbite, an overbite, underbite, and spacing issues.
What is the Minimum Age a Child Must Be to Use Clear Aligners or Invisalign for Kids?
While a specific minimum age has not been set for using the clear aligners teeth-straightening system, since the aligners must be worn 22 hours a day, older children and teens are typically the best candidates.
Can My Child Eat and Drink with the Aligner Or Invisalign Trays In?
Before your child eats or drinks anything (except for water), he or she needs to remove the clear aligners or Invisalign; otherwise, they may sustain damage. These aligners are not made to withstand the chewing process; furthermore, depending on the type of food or drink your child is consuming, the aligners may become stained and, once stained, they are no longer invisible.’ If your child neglects to take his or her aligners out as recommended, your maintenance costs will rise.
Clear Aligners And Invisalign Advantages
When compared to traditional metal braces, clear aligners offer a variety of advantages. These advantages range from aesthetics to comfort, to easy maintenance.
Benefits of Clear Aligners and Invisalign:
- Since aligners are removed prior to eating, your child’s diet will not be restricted, which means that, unlike traditional braces, clear aligners will not hamper your child’s everyday life.
- Many times, children and teens will avoid getting braces for aesthetic reasons: If this is the case, these individuals frequently feel insecure because their teeth are crooked or because they are wearing traditional metal braces. Either way, clear aligners or Invisalign can solve these problems. The aligners are practically invisible, so they will not attract attention during treatment and, once treatment is complete, the crooked teeth will be corrected; thus, clear aligners have successfully addressed both of these potential sources of anxiety.
- Clear aligners and Invisalign are removed while brushing and flossing, which means that your child will not have to make major adjustments to his or her daily oral hygiene regimen; furthermore, without the need to make any changes or learn new dental cleaning methods, your child will continue feeling confident when performing his or her routine dental hygiene tasks. By properly performing these tasks, your child reduces the likelihood of developing gum disease or cavities.
- clear aligners and Invisalign are typically less painful and much more comfortable for kids than traditional metal braces are. With clear aligners, the entire set of aligners is created at the same time. Your child will change out his or her aligners every two weeks (or as directed by the orthodontist). If you choose the clear aligners teeth-straightening system for your child, there are no broken brackets, loose wires, or monthly adjustments to worry about.
- Treatment times with clear aligners are usually shorter than those with traditional metal braces; however, your child’s treatment time depends on how much shifting is required for his or her teeth to be in their proper positions. With compliance, most clear aligners treatments are completed within about 12 to 18 months.
You can keep an eye on how well your child is complying with his or her clear aligners treatment by checking the tiny blue dots (i.e., compliance indicators) located on the back of each aligner tray. These indicators are designed to fade as your child wears the aligner. The more faded these indicators become, the more frequently your child is wearing the aligner.
If you believe that your child needs orthodontic treatment and you are not sure if traditional braces are the answer, clear aligners for kids may be the teeth-straightening system you have been looking for. To learn more about Clear Aligners for Kids, contact DiCiccio Freeman Orthodontics to schedule your child’s complimentary initial consultation with an experienced orthodontist today.